3.16.2012

Sleep.



I probably shouldn't say anything so I don't jinx us, but, Miss Emma slept from 7:15pm-6:10 am IN HER CRIB! She woke up at 10:30pm for a quick snack, then peacefully fell right back asleep. On. Her. Own.
We have been having serious sleep issues around here. Emma preferred to only sleep in my arms, and even there she woke frequently and just didn't seem "settled." She wouldn't even sleep next to me in the bed. I tried just about everything. We realized that Emma did not know how to fall asleep on her own. She has never been the baby to fall asleep while playing with toys, and if any of you have ever been in the car with us, you know that she will only fall asleep there with some serious screaming in protest. We really didn't mind (and actually enjoyed) rocking Emma or nursing her to sleep for every nap or bedtime, but knew it was a problem when that didn't even work anymore. We would rock and bounce and dance and rock for a good 45 minutes just to get a 20 minute nap. Nursing her began to only work if she was actually hungry to start, otherwise she would just get frustrated, like, "Mom, I'm TIRED not hungry." Keith and I realized that we would have to teach Emma how to sleep. Never in my life did I ever think I would have to teach a baby to sleep. I mean, really, who doesn't love sleep?! (Apparently my child.)
We really weren't concerned about her sleeping for our benefit. I have totally come to accept that it is, in fact, possible to survive and thrive on 3 or so hours of interrupted sleep. However, after much research, reading, and discussion with her Pediatrician, we learned how truly important sleep is for the developing baby brain. Our poor Emma was SO exhausted. Part of the culprit is her Anemia, but the main problem was her lack of good, uninterrupted, sleep. And, just as drinking gallons of coffee doesn't make up for lost sleep (as her Daddy would argue,) giving iron to help with the Anemia won't cure her lack of sleep. We needed to step in and be her parents, which meant doing what was best for her. We started "sleep training" Wednesday night. We are taking it slow and trying our best to follow Emma's cues and cater to her needs. So, far, so good. She woke up this morning SO HAPPY! She actually looked well rested, too, which makes me a happy momma. Oh, and me? I slept 1145pm-5am. AMEN.


I am learning every minute during this journey called motherhood. I am learning that what works for one baby or family won't necessarily work for us. I have also learned that there never is, and never will be one solid "right" answer as to the best way to raise a child. As long as they are loved, truly and deeply, loved (as Keith and I are by our parents) you can't go wrong.

In that case, Keith and I are perfect parents and will never be wrong (HA), because we love our little peanut more than we could ever express. We pray she will always know this.


Have a happy and restful weekend!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment